This is a cheap and easy homemade cover to make for your camera. Won’t work for telephoto lenses as it is too small but will fit smaller lenses.
- Ziplock bag (the big freezer kind)
- Felt Marker
- Gaffer tape (You could also try electrical tape or good masking tape)
- Position your camera in the bag as if you are going to shoot with it. Trace the lens opening with your marker.
- Remove your camera and cut the lens opening you just traced.
- Pull the bag inside out. Place the lens hood facing out into the hole you have cut. Tape all around the hood to secure it on the bag.
- Carefully pull the bag back so it is no longer inside out. Tape around the edges of the outside of the hood as well.
- When you attach your camera play with the positioning of it on the lens hood so that the opening of the bag points downward so that rain does not enter. You can zip the bag up around your hand to make it even more secure from the rain.
If you are going to be out in the rain a long time you might want to get a proper cover to protect your investment though! That said I used this in over 6 hours of continuous rain sitting in the bush photographing a horse ride and my camera kept dry. After about three hours with this set up I did start to get condensation on the inside of the bag. This limited my view quite a bit through the viewfinder but I could still photograph and my camera was fine. For a quick shoot in the rain though this will work great.